|Docs and Info|
Contributing to FindBugs
If you have a bug fix or feature enhancement you would like to contribute,
we would be happy to consider it for inclusion.
Preparing a patch
The best way to
send an enhancement is to create a patch against the latest code
in the FindBugs CVS repository. Just run the command
from the root of your CVS working directory and redirect the
output to a file.
Instructions for checking out the latest FindBugs
source code can be found on the
project CVS web page.
Please follow these guidelines when preparing your patch:
- Generate the patch using the "-c" or "-u" option to cvs diff.
- Use the same indentation style as the source file(s) you
are modifying. In particular, please use tabs (not spaces)
to indent your code; one tab per indent level.
- If at all possible, avoid making whitespace modifications.
- Small patches are appreciated.
- If you are submitting a new bug detector, please submit a small
standalone source file that contains an instance of the
kind of bug the detector looks for.
- If you are modifying the Swing GUI, please use
NetBeans to keep the generated
Java code in sync with the .form files.
Following these guidelines makes it much easier for us
to incorporate new code.
How to submit a patch
Patches may be submitted through the
Patches tracker on the
sourceforge project page.
Send comments to