I have used the following test setup on two different laptops:
- Cassandra 3.0.9 installed via ccm (single node)
- hawkular-metrics EAR deployed on wildfly
- Gatling load test that inserts 4,000 data points every 10 seconds
After 3 or 4 runs of the compression job I have had Cassandra crash (as in the JVM terminates) with an OutOfMemoryError three times now. There might be changes we can make to mitigate this, but I think this is an issue with Cassandra. I set up another test environment with Cassandra 3.9. It has been running for almost 24 hours now and no OOMEs.
I will continue to investigate and probably open a ticket against Cassandra.